Thursday, January 12, 2012

Will a edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor bolt on and fit on my stock 87 Monte Carlo SS intake manifold?

I wanted to know because I have 1edelbrock 600 cfm carb to go on my 87 Monte SS and my Rochester quadrajet will need to be rebuilt and I have no time for thatWill a edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor bolt on and fit on my stock 87 Monte Carlo SS intake manifold?
Edelbrock carbs are a spreadbore carb exactly like a Quadrajunk, bolts right on.
A vehicle that had a quadrajet on it has a spreadbore intake. A standard Performer carb is a square bore carb - they are not the same. For a stock spread bore intake, you need adapter (#2696 - from the papers I have lying around - check that before you buy!) to mount the Edelbrock. You can either get that adapter, or I've seen generic adapter plates in performance shops and well equipped auto parts stores.



Be careful with the carb and the spacer - double check your hood clearance before you slam that hood - you might end up close to the limit. You might get by with a drop-mount type air filter to get the clearance - but remember that threaded tip has to be lower or you might end up with one annoying looking dimple in your hood!



Also, you may need to finagle where the fuel line comes in - the edelbrock carb's inlet is on the passenger side (I think - I'm running from my memory on this one), while the Rochester's fuel inlet is right in the front. I corrected mine by using a universal inline filter and some fuel line.



Good luck!Will a edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor bolt on and fit on my stock 87 Monte Carlo SS intake manifold?
It should bolt right up. If not all you need is a plate.
I can't remember what the stock intake looks like but if it has the 4 round holes where car goes then you will need to spread bore to square bore adapter plate



If its two large almost oval shaped holes kinda like the edelbrock performer intake, then the eddy carb will bolt right on, leak free



It will bolt on to the other style spread bore intake with the 4 holes but will have a vac leak on the pass side and rear IIRC cause the intake is not wide enough to seal w/o the use of adapter plateWill a edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor bolt on and fit on my stock 87 Monte Carlo SS intake manifold?
think u will need adapter plate.......they run about 30 bucks at the parts store new......but u can find them for around 10 bucks used at garages sometimes......

1 comment:

  1. your going to have problems... your transimission wont shift with out some type of adapter. im having the sameproblem trying to figure out what to do on my monte which is an 85

    ReplyDelete