Sunday, January 8, 2012

Buying a carburetor for my ford 302 which is better holley or edelbrock?

Looking to buy a new carburetor. I want to buy either the edelbrock 1406 600cfm or the holley 4160 600cfm. Which is better? Reliability wise|||Traditionally if you're the type to be serious about racing and/or are happy to go out in the garage once a month a twiddle and tune a carburetor then a Holley is for you.


For bolting one on, adjusting it, and forgetting about it for the next couple of years you can't beat and Edelbrock. I've had one on a car for six years now. I find I have to spray it down with carb cleaner every two years or so or the choke and throttle stick a little sometimes. Seems like the Holley (mine anyway) is always needing some kind of attention.


Actually the newer "Avenger" Holleys aren't as tweaky as the traditional ones but still not as tunable as a race carb nor quite as solid as the Edelbrocks. Pretty good all-arounders though and good value for the price.


I have both and like them both. The Holley is for my play car and an Edelbrock gets me back and forth to work (and is also fun). I like them both. For a mild to moderately modified street 302, actually I (and a bunch of other people)recommend a 500 cfm. A 600 works great on a mild 351W.|||I've had dealings with both, they're both plenty reliable. I'd probably go with whichever one's cheaper. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Holley

No comments:

Post a Comment