Thursday, January 19, 2012

Will a edelbrock 600 carb run my sbc 383?

i need to know if a edelbrock 600 mech secondary carb will run my sbc 383,it is a street engine with about 400 hp,i dont want it to run to lean and hurt my motor.i am almost done building my 383r.i done a great job but when i got to the intake and carb i ran out of money,im in between jobs so money is tight!Will a edelbrock 600 carb run my sbc 383?
I don't really think the 600 will give it enough gas, you really need to go with a 700 or 750 on a stroker engine, check on craigslist for a used 750, I have seen them on there from time to time.Will a edelbrock 600 carb run my sbc 383?
I would not recommend an Edelbrock carb. for anything other than racing. After having to buy a secondary spring kit, jet kit, and a couple of different sets of metering rods, I still never got mine to run acceptably on the street with a basically stock engine. These are made by Webber in Sanford, NC. They are more or less throttle bodies. Mine is on the shelf collecting dust, while my rebuilt Quadra-Jet runs perfect. Let's face it, even Holley fell short of running within emission standards, while Quadr-Jets were used on Chevy's up until fuel injection took over. Besides, they are the most tune-able carb. ever built. A basic Q-J flowes up to 750cfm, some big block versions flow up to 1,000cfm. Check out Sean Murphey Induction (SMI) and Jet Performance on line. You can get one of these Q-J's tuned for your engine for less than a Holley, but a little more than an Edelbrock. When I crack open the secondary at 80% throttle, (manually) my truck sounds like there's a tornado under the hood, and I get four more miles a gallon than I did a with a Holley 600 with a vacuum secondary. Is the 600 Edelbrock big enough? If you twist it hard, I doubt it...we race a 355 turning about 500hp, and had to move from a Holley 700 to a 770AD because we were running lean in the upper RPM's even after going up four jet sizes. Hate to see someone scorch a new stroker.Will a edelbrock 600 carb run my sbc 383?
It will work just fine for regular cruising, but for racing it will not work, not enough CFM's to fuel the engine at higher rpm"s......
It will but it needs to be jetted right. If I were you I would buy an air fuel Gage it works of an o2 sensor and will take all the worries about running lean away.

No comments:

Post a Comment