Sunday, January 8, 2012

I have a 1991 Chevy S-10 with a 350 in it but don't know whether to put a edelbrock or holley Carb in it?

Which is better Edelbrock or Holley carb?|||Edelbrock is a company that over the years picks up failing or companies going out of business for one reason or another, Edelbrock bought out the rights for quadrajet, I believe it was, and then set about to improve the design, and then eventually went into building high performance carbs, among many other things. Edelbrock has long been associated with excellent products, that get the job done, so you cannot go wrong there. Holley has been a great carb since I was a kid. Some of the worst tickets I ever got was right after I stuck a brand new holley on and took it out for a test drive. Many years ago I did a burnout in an old hot rod pickup, at one minute after midnight.


A brand new four barrel holly just came out with, I bought one and put it on a built 350 out of an older camaro. After I did the burnout, I went around another corner and pulled into my driveway, all happy, and thinking man this truck is BAD!! I opened the driver door, and a cop was jumping up and down in my face screaming 'THAT TRUCK IS FAST!!! YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!!!" so either way you go, you end up with a good product. And do yourself a favor, make sure there are no cops hiding in your neighbors driveway before you stick your foot to the floor!!|||edelbrock i had a 82 buick regal with a chevy 350 was my daily driver for years i had a edelbrock 600 cfm on it ran beautiful never had to adjust it excellent carb part number 1406 had a holley on my 1967 nova didn't like always adjusting it engine didn't run right until i put a edelbrock on it|||type in "edelbrock carb vs holley carb", read for several hours on opinions. i give my vote to "chevyrac's" answer. he definitely out rambled "justin"|||Justin.. That's a long post, with alot of rambling on and no real info.





The edelbrock carb's are great street carbs. They are the old webber designed Carter AFB carbs. Edelbrock bought the rights to the carb design years ago.





Its a square bore base plate carb, but almost a spread bore design with smaller front throttle blades and larger rear throttle blades. This helps it to get better mileage when just tooling aroung, keeps throttle responce high, etc.





The holleys are great performace/race carbs. They are true square bores with same size throttle blades. This slows down the air flow speed, and can cause throttle responce to be weak in the lower rpm range and your fuel mileage will be lower





I have been using, modding and building Carter AFB / Edelbrock carbs for many many years. I love them for street use and mild race use.





Holley aftermarket carbs are also a great. Its more geared towards the weekend type car, or the full race car though. Theres more you can tune and adjust on it (like the duration and volumn of pump shot, idle and high speed air bleeds, etc) but this can get a new carb tuner in alot of trouble.





Holleys also need tune adjustments with minor changes in weather or air DA.





Both carbs has pros and cons. The edelbrocks are picky about fuel pressure. 5.5 psi MAX or it will push the needles out of seats and flood out. I aint bought a new edelbrock in a few year so I'm not sure if this is still the case or not, but they setup and shipped the carbs with the wrong float adjustments for quite a few years. Even had the wrong info listed in the manual. The float settings should be 7/16" at rest and 15/16" to 1" drop.





I ran an edelbrock 1405 that I modded on a 505 HP 355 in my camaro for 5 years. Now I stepped up to a 249/252@.050 cam, more compression, etc 600 HP and run a holley 4150 HP. The edelbrock just couldnt meter fuel right with only 3-4" HG intake vac.





I'm buildng a 1988 S10 v8 355 for everyday pure street use. 10.5:1 compression, vortec heads, 214/224* @.050" cam, Should be around 400 HP. It will have an edelbrock 1405 600 cfm carb|||a holley is a lot better carb as far as performance and staying set longer,you can set an edel brock good today and tomorrow it will be off some,if i was going to go back whit a carb it would be a good holley.they been around for a long time and have had the time to take all the bugs out of their products,good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment